What a Tuesday we had - I am so tired I am pretty sure I could sleep standing up.
So as promised, I told you I would share with you some traditional Lebanese dishes this week. This first one is very simple and great tasting if you like cabbage. Now there are a million ways to make cabbage rolls but I thought it would be fun for me to share the way my family makes them. The more common way you would see a cabbage roll would be with a tomato sauce, however today’s post will be slightly different.
The cabbage rolls below are much smaller in size than what you would consider a “traditional” cabbage roll. And with the omittance of the tomato sauce – you may ask yourself…. what in the world does zesty have here. Well here it goes:
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Short Grain Rice
- 4 Large Cabbage Heads
- 1 Head Garlic
- Combine raw lean beef, rice, salt and pepper together; mix well.
- Bring water to a boil and place whole cabbage into the pot to scold cabbage for about 4 minutes. ( Be sure to save liquid )
- Once the leaves start falling off remove from pot.
- Take one leaf off with tongs and place on a work surface.
- Check for hard core like surface on the back of the cabbage leaf and skim it off with a knife.
- Place cabbage open on the work surface and fill with a tablespoon of filling in a horizontal line.
- tuck both sides of the cabbage leaf in and roll .
- Place in a large pot and repeat procedure.
- Put garlic cloves throughout the pot on different layers.
- Once all the cabbage rolls are made fill pot about 2/3 full with reserve liquid and cook for 60-75 minutes.
Zesty Tip: Be sure to cut the core of the cabbage out before starting the rolling procedure if it is present.
So there you have it. Now what I like to do with my cabbage rolls is have a little tomato juice that has been boiled to make a little dipping sauce. Mom also likes to cook a couple of small lamb chops by adding them to the pot for flavoring…. oh so good!
Hope you have a great Wednesday and please if you have not done so – be sure to enter the POM giveaway contest before Friday.