Middle of the week is here. Can you believe it? The basement renovation is coming along quite nicely with really no hiccups in sight. Floor is almost completed and we are moving on to trimming out the windows and doors today. Yesterday was a snow day around here with school cancelled and what better thing to do on a snow day than bake cookies.
Not just any cookies I might add, a chewy chocolate chip cookie. I was perusing Jenna’s blog, Eat Live Run, and I came across her favorite chocolate chip cookie. I quickly looked at one of my chewy chocolate chip cookie and compared the ingredients and thought…. heck I am going to try hers. There were a couple of slight variations that definitely warranted a test in the kitchen. I knew the builders would eat the cookies so I would not have to eat the whole batch.
The big difference that I noted was “DARK” brown sugar. This created a complex deep sweetness and ensures the cookies stays soft and chewy. It really does!
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each one. Add the vanilla and mix gently to combine.
- Add the flour to the butter and mix.
- Carefully stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for about twelve minutes, or until golden.
Zesty Tip: Do not over cream the butter and sugar… there is no need as the cookie will smear all over the pan and you will make pancakes.
Alright, so the end results were astonishing. I am not sure if I ever baked a better chocolate chip cookie before. My hat goes off to Jenna for sharing this recipe and forcing me to buy dark brown sugar. These are a definite keeper. A slight variation if you were so adventurous would be to toss in a bag of dark chocolate chips and you could almost call them healthy.
Have an awesome Wednesday. Stay tuned for some basement pics in the coming week.