Welcome to the first installment of the Valentines treat week at ZestyCook.com. Before I get started please do not forget to sign up for the great giveaway of Grill Charms. The contest will run through the day tomorrow and then I will announce the winners on Thursday’s post.
I have been craving homemade muffins without a huge amount of oil. I recently picked up a new box of granola (fiber and flax) so I thought I would incorporate that into a basic muffin mixture with some apples. This is what I came up with. A delicious muffin, moist on the inside with a little crunch on the outside from the granola.
I was really impressed with the texture of the muffin, although I did find that maybe the apple was a little “BLAH“. Next time, maybe I will add some flavor to the apple before hand.
- 1 Large Apple (Peeled and Cored)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Granola
- 4 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 Large Egg (beaten)
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12- hole muffin pan.
- Place the apple and half the sugar in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift together remaining sugar, flour(s), baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in granola (reserving some for top of muffins).
- In a small bowl, beat together remaining ingredients. Stir this liquid into the dry ingredients and lightly stir together.
- Divide the mixture among the holes in the muffin pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Top with remaining granola.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly brown.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and turn out immediately onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Zesty Tip: When mixing the dry ingredients with the wet – be sure not to over mix, lumps and some flour still showing is OK. If you over-beat the batter, the muffins will be flat.
This was a really fun recipe to play around with. What do you think of the pictures? I think I may have finally figured out how to focus in the front and blur in the back with my camera. I am pretty excited. Have an awesome Tuesday!
I think tomorrow’s special treat may make you smile. I can’t wait to share it with you.