Happy Monday! What a weekend we had… to say it was a busy weekend would be an understatement but it was so much fun. Saturday started with a visit to the house, three truck loads of junk to the dump, checking out the temporary driveway (woo hoo!), followed by a “PEI Spud Run for children”. We entered both turkeys (our kids) as part of the Marathon Weekend. It was a good time despite the weather which was very cold and rainy.
On to the Food
Earlier in the week we finally made it to the apple orchard. It was a a great time where the kids loved it and the weather was very nice. We came home with a big bag of cooking apples (Cortland) and eating apples (MacIntosh).
Here are a couple of shots in the orchard followed by a killer apple pie – compliments of Mama Zesty’s super pie crust recipe.
Topped with some homemade whip cream or even just plain Vanilla ice cream – a great dessert. Actually I had a slice of this for breakfast…. Do you think that is a bad thing?
- 6 Apples ( Peeled and Sliced)
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp. White Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees and Pre grease your pie plate (this one was a 10 inch)
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, butter and salt then cut in together. Once cut in, add the water slowly mixing with a fork. Do not over mix and do not make it too wet.
- Cut the dough into two equal parts and then roll out fairly thin.
- Place the bottom layer of the dough in the pie plate.
- Add sliced apples sugar and nutmeg ( sprinkled on top. Add the top crust and cut three steam holes in the middle. Once the top is in place, use a fork to crimp the edges of the pie to ensure it doesn’t come apart.
- Brush some milk on the top crust and bake for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Zesty Tip: The big tip here is not to over work the dough. If you want a flaky crust, keep your paws off as much as possible. Just add enough water to combine the flour butter mixture and that is it – otherwise it will be stocky and hard to roll out.
On to the Race
As I mentioned on Friday, Mrs. Zesty was running in a half marathon this weekend. A few people were sending her well wishes and asked for an update so I thought I would fulfill the request. Overall the weather was nice but it was fairly cool with a stiff breeze. Janet did extremely well. Her time was 2:13.46. I am super proud of her! Me, the kids along with the in-laws provided support every step of the way (via car). Great Job J! Mrs. Zesty is below on the right!
Here is a shot of Zesty Jr. and Mrs. Zesty at the Spud Run on Saturday.
Well that was a post somewhat all over the map but I hope you enjoyed it and have a great Monday. I will be back in the morning for another riveting write up.