Help The Students Event: Day 1
Welcome to the kick off of Help the Students event. For the next month you will be seeing recipes that are student friendly. Recipes that use simple, easy to find ingredients. Recipes that are straight forward and easy to prepare. You will also find tips, tricks, shopping ideas, economical ideas and special guest posts from fantastic food bloggers.
I thought I would kick off day one with a simple homemade oven fries recipe. This guys are so versatile and great at anytime of the day. Yes you read it right! Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner – these are a hit! My Dad used to tell me growing up that fries in brown paper bags are the best.
I have had them a few times at restaurants and I do agree with him. A fun novelty that you can for sure create at home.
- 3-4 Baking Potatoes (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Slice potatoes and then rinse well and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a large bowl add potatoes, olive oil, salt, garlic, black pepper and mix well
- Pour out on a cookie sheet and bake 20-25 minutes turning occasionally until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve on plate or in a brown paper bag.
Zesty Tip: Ensure the potatoes are very dry before starting the baking process. If any amount of liquid is present, the potatoes will steam and not become crispy. Once they come out of the oven and screaming hot… hit them with a little bit of salt.
Freestyle Variation: Add some heat if you are in the mood by tossing with a little cayenne pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce. A nice finishing touch is to add Parmesan cheese with about 5 minutes to go in the cooking process.
I hope you enjoyed Day 1 of Help The Student event. Feel free to send along your recipe or tips if you would like to be featured this month. Students all over the world will benefit from your experiences. Have a super Wednesday.