Good morning, afternoon or evening to you! I hope you are having a great week thus far. Last night for dinner I tried a new recipe.
Exciting I know.
Mrs. Zesty has been trying a meal plan this week from her boot camp instructor and Registered Dietitian, which has been kind of fun. I will admit. On last night’s dinner plan was a chicken and spinach bake. I followed the recipe to a “T” and it turned out well. The only thing we found was the chicken was pretty bland and almost tasted boiled. It was very moist and juicy because of the chicken stock but next time I think I would alter the liquid.
Maybe try balsamic vinegar with some garlic to add some much needed flavor. Over all the combination of spinach, tomatoes and green onions worked very well and the hint of Parmesan cheese added a nice balance of indulgence.
Here are the details, let me know what you think.
- 8 cups baby spinach raw
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, ready to use, reduced salt
- 2 breast chicken breast ( I used more chicken cause we had it on hand)
- 1 large tomato diced
- 4 stalk green onion, tops only, sliced
- 3 tbsp cheese, Parmesan, grated
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Put spinach in the baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend, salt, and pepper; arrange over the spinach.
- Sprinkle with the diced tomato and green onion.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and top chicken with parmesan cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through.
Zesty Tip: Focus on flavor… Kick the base up a notch with garlic, maybe ginger and even some balsamic vinegar or low sodium soya sauce.
I hope you have a great day, it is damp and rainy here so I will try to be smiling but don’t count on it. Regardless, I will talk to you on Friday. Get your ideas ready, we are hosting a breakfast/brunch party so I will be calling on you for inspiration.