Happy Monday to you! Some days you just need something simple to eat. Something that will comfort you if you are feeling down, something quick if you are in a rush. This no nonsense chicken soup will definitely do the trick. Simple flavors really make you realize that good food can be made easy.
Honestly when I was making this soup, I thought it might be a bit bland in flavor until I hit it with the fresh lemon juice and ground pepper. It woke the soup up and made it SING. This is a must try for any soup lover.
- 3/4 Cup Long Grain White Rice
- 6 Cups Homemade or canned low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Cups Water
- Chicken breasts ( cut into thin slices)
- 2 Carrots ( chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 350g (12 oz) Spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Olive oil
- Fresh Ground black pepper
- Place the rice and carrot in a large saucepan with the stock and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, saute the chicken with the oil until slightly brown adding the garlic and 1/2 Tbsp. Lemon juice and set aside once no longer pink.
- Add the sliced chicken to the pan and simmer partly covered for another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and continue simmering for another 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and both the chicken and spinach are cooked.
- Stir in remaining lemon juice and pepper and serve hot.
Zesty Tip: Add some crunch to your soup by adding roasted pine nuts at the very end just before serving. It will add a nice texture to the somewhat smooth soup.
I must really say that these soup has been one of my favorites that I had had in a long time. I think it also offers a nice canvas to add any other vegetables you would like but I think keeping it simple is one of the attractive elements.
Zesty Hits the Media
Well you know how shy I am in real life right? Ummm just joking! Just last week I was speaking with the Guardian as they wanted to do a special piece on Zesty and how it all began. The Guardian is the local newspaper serving PEI so I was more than happy to oblige.
They also wanted to shoot a video in zesty’s kitchen with some holiday flare. So many ideas went through my head thinking of what I wanted to share with you. It came down to doing something simple and fun and also a recipe that kids can help create. These cookies were really fun to make even with the crazy twist. They taste pretty good out of the oven as well.
All in good fun and hopefully the videos will continue.
Have a super start to your week and I will see you all on Wednesday.