I’m Back! Yes you better believe it! I had somewhat of a long day yesterday flying from Miami to home. This all started with me going to the self service check out line in Miami and the computer was unable to print out boarding pass. I thought to myself… oh dear here we go again. So I ended up going up to the American Airlines Counter to tell the lady my story. She punches my name into the system and a puzzled look appears on her face.
After a moment, she sputters “Sir, your flight has been canceled – that is why it did not print your boarding pass.”
“oh lovely, what do we do now?” I asked.
A few minutes elapsed and she ended up re routing me through New York and adding an extra connection but all in all it wasn’t that bad. I am home so that is the main thing!
Now to finish off baked goods week – I thought I would save possibly the best for last. Chocolate cake with homemade boiled icing topped with skor bar bites. As you can recall I posted the boiled icing recipe a while back and I also posted a skor bar trifle back in February. This chocolate cake is a combination of both without the chocolate pudding.
A simple great classic that you can make any day of the week for any occasion.
- 1 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup cocoa
- 1/8 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 Lb. stick butter, cut into 8 equal parts
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. vanilla
- 3 Lg. eggs
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
- Cream butter, sugars and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream; beat gently just until smooth.
- Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan for 45-55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges and around tube; turn out on rack.
- Cool completely.
- Add boiled icing and top with skor bits.
Zesty Tip: Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Shiny pans reflect the heat, and are the best choice for cake baking. I also like to reduce the oven temperature by 25° when using glass pans.
I hope you have a great weekend! I will see you on Monday. I am planning a fun zesty giveaway next week.