Need I Say More?
I didn’t think so… but I will.
I was stumbling through the internet to some of my favorite sites to prepare for a dinner party on Saturday night when I hit these little morsels of magic. Two peas and their pod delivered a Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel bar that caught my eye. Ok, well maybe caught more than my eye. I had to go grab a wipe and clean off the keypad after checking these out!
I followed their instructions to a tee and the results were delicious. The only thing I would change…. is the first time i served them, I just cut them from the pan, threw on a dollop of ice cream and called it a dessert. The next two times I ate them… yes I know. I warmed the square in the microwave for 30 seconds… well you can guess the rest. AMAZING
- 2 1/8 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 Cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Cups chocolate chips
- 10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Sea salt, for sprinkling over caramel and bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking pan (which is an 11 X 7 pan-I used a glass Pyrex dish) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the melted butter and sugars together until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream. Microwave caramels on High until caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- Divide the cookie dough in half. Press half of the cookie dough into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Pour hot caramel over the cookie dough. Sprinkle caramel with sea salt. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the caramel and spread dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered. Sprinkle the bars with additional sea salt.
- Bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool bars on a wire rack to room temperature. Cut bars into squares and serve.
Zesty Tip: Definitely watch these fellas in the oven. Do a test at around 25 minutes depending on your oven. Better to under cook than over cook them and dry it out.
I really think you should try these and be sure to share with your friends other wise you will eat the whole pan. Seriously.
Talk on Wednesday.