Last Thursday Little Miss Zesty turned the big 5.
We had a big crowd over for some cake and ice cream so I wanted to make two cakes. First one was a confetti donut cake topped with a chocolate ganache ( I gave it a sample test and it was OK. )
The second was more up my alley.
A chocolate pudding cake topped with a butter cream frosting and dusted with dark chocolate shavings. Talk about moist.
Three forms of chocolate inside the cake. The chocolate base, the pudding and the chocolate chips. Some of the chips do not break down completely so there are surprise nuggets of chocolate built in…. YUM
Yes, my girl loves her chocolate.
- 1 package devil’s food cake mix
- 1package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil ( Could sub Apple sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of salted butter
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons of coffee cream (18% and up)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, milk, oil, water and eggs. Beat for 4 minutes, then mix in 2 cups chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the frosting :
- Whip that butter, with a paddle beater if you have it, if not, don’t worry.
- Add in the icing sugar. **I came back to edit this to say that fresh icing sugar makes all the difference. Icing sugar goes stale, and you can sure taste it when it does! Crack open a fresh bag for icings, you won’t be sorry!**
- Add in the cream. Not milk, cream. I used 4 tablespoons for my preference, you adjust to what you want.
- Stiffer icing = less cream.
- Whippier icing = more cream. Vanilla…. I used 3 teaspoons, again, you can try a little more if you like.Then keep mixing it until fluffy and thoroughly combined
Zesty Tip: As an addition to the frosting and chocolate shavings, you could top with your favorite roasted nut (hazelnuts or walnuts would work ).
What is your favorite chocolate cake? Do you have one? Tell me.
Have a super Monday and stay tuned for what I am guessing is another sock rockin’ cookie recipe later this week.