Welcome to my kitchen for a little mid week Wednesday fun! Do you ever watch the show chopped on the Food Network – I happen to LOVE it. Here is the premise if you are not familiar.
“Chopped” the Show
The series challenges four up-and-coming chefs to turn a selection of everyday ingredients into an extraordinary three-course meal. After each course, a contestant gets “chopped” until the last man or woman left standing claims victory. Each week, a rotating panel of culinary elite judges decide whose dishes shine the brightest and award the winner $10,000.
Here is my spin on the whole version of mystery basket of ingredients and a 45 minute time frame to complete the entree.
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 Cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Warm a large saute pan over medium heat and add oil, tomatoes and garlic – cook down for about 5 minutes
- Add basil and remove from heat.
- Lay the chicken on parchment/wax paper and another piece on top and hammer the chicken using a heavy blunt object. I chose a big pan.
- Once flattened to your desired consistency, start adding the filling and rolling/folding the chicken over. Once complete, you can top with the almonds or roll your chicken in them depending on how tight your roll is…. mine was kind of loose. I was rushing for the time clock.
- Return the chicken to the pan and sear on both sides until brown.
- Add chicken to a oven safe baking pan and complete the cooking process; about 20 minutes.
Zesty Tip: I really feel the key to this dish is searing the chicken prior to roasting it in the oven. The tomato and garlic combination as well as the almonds create a flavor on the outside. The last thing you want is to have a dry flavorless chicken which can easily happen.
Well there you have it! A super fun game to play in your kitchen and really focus on keeping it simple but not sacrificing flavor. Overall, What is your favorite food to cook of all time? I am going to dedicate an entire post to this but I just wanted to throw the question out there. Have a super Wednesday and I will see you
all on Friday for yet another salad post by zesty. Can you believe this health kick I am on? – I am loving it!