A Friday treat is hear for all! Well not all but everyone who loves potatoes, cheese and bacon. Heck even if you don’t love bacon, I am pretty sure you will still love these little bits of comfort. Some days when you get home from work or are sitting on the couch taking a breather, comfort food is all you need. Whether it is your favorite fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, some chocolate cake or baked potato skins and bacon – food can definitely change your mood.
Despite these skins taking a little bit of effort – the end results are well worth the effort.
- 6 Large baking potatoes
- 1/4 Tsp.salt
- 1/4 Tsp. pepper
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese, Swiss or Asiago cheese
- 6 slices slices bacon, cooked
- 3 Green onions, chopped
- Scrub potatoes; prick several times with fork. Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until tender, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle. (Make-ahead: Let cool completely; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
- Cut lengthwise in half; scoop out flesh, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick walls (reserve flesh for another use, such as soup or mashed potatoes).
- Arrange, cut side up, on baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cheese.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Top with bacon and green onions and serve immediately.
Zesty Tip: For an extra kick, you can add some crushed red pepper flakes or chili powder to give it a little heat or you can have sour cream on the side spiked with hot sauce.
I don’t mean to cut this short but let me tell you these potato skins are pretty darn yummy and I would like for you to try them… ok? Let me know what you think of them after you make them.