Hi Zesty Readers, I am Mellissa from A Fit and Spicy Life and am very excited to be doing a guest post while Zesty is out of town. I thought I would share one of my fall favorites made with ingredients that are in season now and spices that really complement those flavors! Since this soup has a lot of chopping I use a Chopper or Food Processor to get the onions and apples the same size, to save time and to stop a few tears.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 apples, cored and chopped
- 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (veggie broth can be substituted)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- Pour oil into large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, curry, cumin and cayenne.
- Saute, stirring often until onion is soft.
- Stir in apples, pumpkin, broth, water and sugar.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in a food processor or with a hand blender, to achieve desired consistency.
- Just before serving, return to pot on low heat.
Thanks so much Melissa (fit and spicy life) for a great recipe. This is definitely the time of year for curry and pumpkin. I love the combination of flavors and will be trying this for sure. I hope you have a great Thursday and talk soon.