Happy Monday! I am on the road again this week visiting clients in Mississippi and West Virginia. Despite the travels, I have some recapping to do from the camping extravaganza from last week. I had a blast! We had a blast! We ate great, the weather was very nice except one rainy day and the kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
On to the Food
One evening we invited some friends up to the trailer for a dinner at the picnic table. I was tossing around the menu ideas all day when I finally came up with a hoisin honey chicken breast topped with a fresh mango/pear salsa, grilled sweet potatoes with a brown sugar/butter glaze and a simple orange avocado salad. I also did a quick grilled zucchini with a orange garlic marinade to compliment the salad.
The prep was fun and at the same time a little different and challenging with limited supplies. Counter space was definitely at a minimum as well but indeed we did prevail.
- 5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4-5 Cilantro sprigs
- 2 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp. Ginger
- 1 Clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit for 1-2 hours before grilling.
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- Place chicken and let sear on one side ( about 6 minutes )
- Flip and continue cooking on other side until cook through
- Remove from heat and cover with foil to let the juices move back to the center of the meat.
Mango Pear Salsa
- 2 Mangoes
- 2 Pears
- 1/4 Cup cilantro ( chopped )
- 1 shallot ( finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Hot sauce
- Juice of two limes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Peel and chop both the mangoes and the pears
- Place in a large mixing bowl and add all other ingredients.
- Let flavors come together for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Place on top of bbq chicken.
2 Way Potatoes
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 3 PEI Russet Potatoes
- Fresh rosemary
- Drizzle of Olive oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Peel potatoes and microwave potatoes for 9 minutes
- Cut into medallions and place in two separate bowls
- For the russet potatoes combine rosemary, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix to coat.
- Grill over medium heat to achieve char marks and until they are fork tender with a nice crust.
- For the sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill over medium heat.
- In another bowl, melt butter and brown sugar in the microwave and brush on the sweet potatoes as you grill each side.
- Cook until a crust is formed and they are tender on the inside.
Orange Avocado Salad
For the orange avocado salad, you can refer to the full recipe. The flavors in here are amazing and really a nice fresh flavor for the chicken and the starchy potatoes.
Zesty Tip: When preparing for a dinner party – take the time and organize the menu, ingredients and the prep time. This will allow you to enjoy the company as opposed to sweating in the kitchen.
I am aboard the plane to Alabama and then driving over to Tupelo. I hope you have a super Monday. Stay tuned for a simple grilled quesadillas that impressed the pickiest of eaters.