Hi Zesty Readers! This is Danica from Danica’s Daily. I am excited to be posting for Zesty while he is off vacationing with his family since he is always willing to help me out. Zesty is not only an awesome COOK but he rocks at Website Design. He has helped me numerous times over at Danica’s Daily, but, he really went above and beyond with the work he did over at Friends for Weight Loss, my Weight Watcher Support group!
Today’s recipe is one of my new favorite things. I absolutely LOVE the Fire Cracker Chicken at Panda Express and get it every year when it comes around for Chinese New Year. I have been wanting to make this recipe ever since I saw that they had it online.
The only thing is that their recipe online didn’t include all the ingredients listed in the instructions and I think needed to have some changes to match the actual flavor. Below is my take on their recipe.
- 12 oz marinated chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger (fresh is better if you have it)
- 2 tsp Crushed Red Chili Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Black Beans Sauce
- 1 tsp Mirin ~ Sweet Japanese Cooking Wine
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha (hot chili sauce), optional if you like more heat
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch Mix (equal parts cornstarch powder and water)
- 2 scallions, diced, as an optional topper for color
- 12 oz Chicken Breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
1. Stir together vegetable oil, egg white, cornstarch and salt in a mixing bowl. Add chicken, and mix, making sure to coat all of the chicken with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes to marinate. PREP EVERYTHING ELSE while the meat marinates because the recipe goes together fast.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large wok (or non-stick skillet) over a high flame. Add marinated chicken and stir quickly, separating the meat and then cook for approximately 1 minute. Remove cooked chicken and drain well.
3. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, chili pepper and black beans into the heated skillet. Stir for 1 minute.
4. Add cooked chicken, cooking wine, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sriracha and cornstarch mix with water. Stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Add sesame oil and continue stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and cook through, about 3-4 minutes. Place finished product on a dish and serve with brown rice.
Makes 4, 1 cup servings