Ever feel a need to kick the flavor up a little? Well let’s just say this was a zesty first but I loved it. Flank steak marinated in coffee! This was a very flavorful piece of meat. Not only is it unique that I have never tried a sip of coffee in my life I actually loved this flank steak a lot. There definitely was a flavor of coffee but it was not overpowering. By marinating this cut of meat – it was almost like velvet in your mouth. Now don’t get me wrong – I honestly never tried velvet but I can imagine that it would be smooth and tender.
Marinating is a great way to flavor meats and break down the “tough” fibers and ensure tenderness. This process has been around for many years and it is proven. For some, it is a great way to buy less inexpensive meats and still have a great meal. On the meat side, a cut of meat like flank is all the rage because of it’s low fat content. However usually with a low fat content comes low flavor – that is where the marinating comes in to play.
Next time you are craving some beef – give this recipe a try.
- 1 Flank steak – 1 ½ pounds
- 1 Cup strong black coffee or espressos
- 1 ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 Shallot finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp of brown sugar
- ½ Tsp coarse salt
- 1 Tsp ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients but the steak, remove about ¼ cup of the sauce to use later then add flank steak to the remaining marinade and marinate for at least 2 hours (can be up to next day).
- Pat steak dry. Rub with small amount oil and grill until done basting frequently with the marinade, 3-6 min per side depending on thickness.
- Rest at least 5 min before slice across grain. Rest is very important for this type of steak.
Zesty Tip: If not a grill is not available then broil for the same amount of time. You do not want to cook this passed medium for optimal flavor and texture.
Around the Blogsphere
Now I know some of you may be looking for a different type of steak so of course I am always on the look out for you. I happen to have come across a few pretty fun looking pieces of steak. Check this out when you have some free time.
- Choosing Raw – A very interesting play on a raw steak. I know I would love this combo.
- Aggie’s Kitchen – A pretty special looking Steak sandwich that i would pretty much love to sink my teeth.
- Sippity Sup – Greg shares a very interesting post on steak and really can enlighten the crowd around cuts of beef.
- Steamy Kitchen – Jaden kicks it up a notch and shares how to turn choice steak into “prime” steak.
So there you have it a fun post on steak with a great way to flavor it with coffee and some other great blogs that talk about steak. I really hope you have a great weekend and let me know your thoughts on steak.