Haha, you thought I meant my muscles….Oh dear no. I meant the mussels from the water. Thanks to the folks from Mussel King we had a feed of mussels on Christmas Eve as well as the day after as there were so many. But talk about delicious! When I made them on Christmas eve, the comments were over the top with amazement at how plump, juicy and full these mussels were.
For the preparation of these mussels – I kept it simple. Things this good, you just need to keep it simple.
- 5lbs. Mussels, rinsed and clean
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Handful of cilantro
- Preheat a large stock pot on medium to high heat.
- Add butter and onions and cook for a couple of minutes until translucent
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper – cook for another 30 seconds
- Add the white wine, cilantro and parsley – Stir together.
- Toss in the mussels, throw on the lid and let steam about 5-7 minutes.
- Let steam until all the mussels have opened.
- Serve into a bowl
Zesty Tip: The butter is the key here… steaming the mussels in butter with a little wine intensify the flavor and make them even juicier. This is a must try for anyone who LOVES mussels.
Well, Happy Friday everyone. Hard to believe Christmas is over and a new year right around the corner. Tell me your New Year’s eve plans in the comments and I will talk to you all on Monday.
Happy New Year