What are your thoughts on a Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cake with cream cheese frosting? My thoughts were likely similar to yours…. oh hell yeah I will have a piece. Last night in laws and myself brewed up this little masterpiece compliments of Mama Pea and her gluten free oatmeal chocolate chip cake.
We made two cakes just too test out our skills before they were serving it this morning for a breakfast treat at 7:00am. Yeah you read that right. 7:00am after boot camp. I think I should join that boot camp!
The results were great. The cake was very moist. The icing was spectacular. Here is the lowdown from Mama Pea’s recipe.
For the Cake
- 1 Cup old-fashioned oats (use gluten-free varieties as necessary)
- 1 1/4 Cup boiling water
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil
- 1/4 Cup almond butter
- 2/3 Cup applesauce
- 1 Cup stevia baking blend or organic sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Cup oat flour (can sub gluten free all-purpose flour or rice flour)
- 1/2 Cup coconut flour
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup milk chocolate chips
For the Icing
- 3 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- splash of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine oats and boiling water and allow oats to absorb the liquid.
- Using a blender or hand mixer, cream together coconut oil, almond butter, applesauce, stevia or sugar and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and add now-cooked oats to mixture.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before folding in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- For the icing, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar and enough milk to make a drizzly consistency.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before inverting the pan to remove the cake and drizzling with icing.
Zesty Tip: I filled the center of the cake with a mixture of blueberries, hint of sugar and some lemon zest. You could slide any fruit you want in there for a little “health” kick.
There you go. Thanks mama pea for a fun recipe and I just got off the phone with my sister in law and everyone loved the cake. Well done! The next time you need a gluten free option give this a try. Have a great Wednesday and I will talk to you on Friday.