Happy Monday to you! A busy weekend entailed some family visits, some grocery shopping, a couple of stops at the park and a special visit to a zesty-in-law that is under going some back yard changes. They are getting a new outdoor bread oven installed. ( pictures to come later )
For me, the weekend was somewhat relaxing on the work front and it was a nice change. I want to share with you a simple way to kick up a normal pork chop with the use of a simple sauce. Do you ever get intimidated by preparing sauces? I used to be very scared of sauces when I first started to cook but then realized that they really are not that difficult and can definitely be the highlight of the dish.
How does a grilled pork chop sound with a smooth blueberry sauce? Blueberries were on sale at the super market this week so of course I bought two pints.
- 4 Pork chops
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Cups Blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat barbecue to medium – high heat
- Add oil, salt and pepper to the pork chops and place on grill
- I only flip my pork and beef once although I do a half turn to get the cross grill marks during the process. For this thick pork chop I let it cook about 6-7 minutes per side. No one in our house loves pink pork. I usually cook it until just done and still juicy.
- For the sauce, warm a sauce pan over medium heat and toss in the blueberries and let them break down. Once starting to release their juices, add juice of the lemon and some lemon zest and the sugar.
- Let cook through for 3 minutes and then toss in the butter and let it melt and smooth out the sauce.
- Continue to simmer the sauce until you are ready to serve
Zesty Tip: If you find your sauce to thick – add a little water. If you find it too thin, add a little cornstarch with some water ( a slurry ) to help thicken the sauce. Remember if you use a slurry you will need to bring the sauce up to a boil to get the full effect of the thickening agent.
Busy week in store for you? I have a funny feeling this week may be a nutso one for me. We are supposed to be getting some landscaping done today ( including grass finally planted ) WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO. I will share some pictures once they are complete. Both of the grass and the new deck in the backyard. I have been anticipating much more yard work done at this point but it seems I will have to wait until later in the year for tree transplanting as well as the walkway.
Have a great start to the week and I will talk to you on Wednesday. The June release of the G! comes out Thursday. Don’t forget to pick up your copy.