Welcome everyone and happy Tuesday! I am very excited to share a guest post with you by Tina from Carrots and Cake. If you have not done so already, I suggest you drop over and pay Tina a visit. Her blog is really informative and very upbeat. It really is a great find and definitely one to bookmark.
Follow along below and make your own Pumpkin Coconut Bars.
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup of Splenda brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
*I used 1/2 cup of whole wheat and 1/2 cup of regular white flour for this recipe. The bars were tasty, but pretty dense. I recommend using 1 cup of white flour and nixing the whole wheat flour all together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, and oil, then mix in flour (both kinds) and baking powder.
- Stir in dates, coconut, and walnuts to mixture.
- Coat 8X8 baking pan with cooking spray and spread mixture evenly in pan (photo below).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees until batter is mostly firm.
- Top with additional coconut shavings and cook for another 8-10 minutes on 450 degrees until coconut begins to brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes, and the cut into bars (mine were
approximately 2″ X 2″).
Here’s the mixture before going into the oven…
… and here’s the final product, piping-hot with golden-brown shredded
coconut on top.
I hope everybody enjoyed the guest post from Tina. Feel free to comment and tell us what you think of these yummy coconut pumpkin bars. Have a great day!