Well – I was talking to my good friend yesterday and he said “Zesty…. why don’t you create a simple step by step way to create french fries – healthy style”. So I thought to myself and said “self lets do it”. If you’re anything like me – you love french fries. Below you will find a simple step by step set of instructions on how to create delicious homemade french fries that everyone in the family will enjoy and are not that bad for your waistline.
Zesty tip: I use a Mandoline for quick and perfectly cut fries.
- 5 Large Roasting Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Begin with some nice roasting potatoes as shown here. While you’re doing that – lets preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Then Peel and Wash the potatoes to prepare for slicing.
- Here is my tool I use for slicing – If you don’t have this or a mandoline just use your knife and be sure to cut the french fries even in size to ensure even cooking.
- Once sliced, place the potatoes in a bowl and cover with water.
- I like to have the potatoes soak in salted water for about 30 minutes to release some of the starch and allow the fries to crisp up in the oven.
- After the 30 minutes elapsed – it is time we dry the potatoes. This is a crucial step. If the potatoes are not completely dry, they will not crisp up as nicely and the moisture will cause them to steam in the oven.
- Lets go ahead and lay the potatoes on some parchment paper, season them with salt and pepper and brush some olive oil on the tops of them. Once in the oven, ensure that you turn them periodically to ensure even browning. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Here is the final product…. crispy and yummy! Get you favorite dipping sauce out and ENJOY!
Be sure to let me know your favorite french fries whether it be a favorite fast food chain or a special way you make them at home… Can’t wait to hear from you.