Friday is here! Earlier in the week I prepared a roasted chicken for some extra meals. I realized I had purchased two of these little suckers because they were on 2 for 1 at Sobeys. I put one in the freezer but left the other one in the freezer. When I noticed it in the fridge on Tuesday night I thought I would roast it and use it as a protein source for another dish or two.
The one thing I love about roasting chicken is that you can start with a blank canvas and take it to whatever country you want. This time I chose a simple Hoisin Soy Glaze and pretended I was in Asia. So easy and so tasty – this chicken was packed with flavor. I know because the chicken wing was begging for attention when I pulled it out of the oven.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
- Dash of Soy sauce
- Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- Garlic Powder
- Frozen Basil
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare bird by cleaning and patting dry
- Add salt, pepper, basil and garlic powder to cavity
- Rub hoisin and soy sauce on outside of bird. Season the outside with salt, pepper and basil.
- Add grape tomatoes in the roasting pan.
- Dollop with a pat of butter to ensure the skin will get nice and golden brown
- Cook uncovered until legs are loose about 20 mins per pound.
- Cover and let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Zesty Tip: Season the inside of the chicken cavity. After washing it and drying it well, be sure to season the inside of the bird with salt and pepper and whatever other flavors you want.
What is your favorite flavor on your chicken?
It really is that simple. This bird is great on it’s own with some smashed potatoes and veg or in a salad the next day or even in a casserole which you will see next week. Chicken in versatile and healthy so eat it up and enjoy.
A huge weekend is set here at the zesty house because the landscapers are finished and we have grass seed. So my job is to WATER WATER WATER. Sun is slated for the whole weekend so it should be great. Have a fun weekend and I will see you on Monday.