Well you know that I have somewhat of an addiction to honey…. right? It is OK though. It does make everything taste slightly better and is a great natural sweetener. For today’s recipe, it really could not get any easier. I start by taking a very healthy vegetable which really needs some flavor help if you ask me and that is what we do.
These simple ingredients and the power of the oven translate these bland boring brussel sprouts into the star of the meal.
Wanna hear how?
- 2 Cups Brussels Sprouts ( left whole)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tsp. Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- In a bowl, add Brussels sprouts and coat with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread Brussels sprouts out evenly to prepare for roasting.
- Roast until almost done, about 20-25 minutes. With 5 minutes left to roast add the pine nuts on the pan as well to brown
- In a small sauce pan, add vegetable stock, garlic, balsamic and bring to a gentle boil. Then turn to simmer and let reduce. Add honey and continue to let it reduce for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the Brussels sprouts are fully roasted, remove the pan from the oven and pour the honey balsamic mixture on top. Toss to coat evenly and serve.
Zesty Tip: The use of vegetable stock is a great way to infuse flavor as well as create the balancing liquid for the sauce. If you do not have vegetable stock you could simply use water or even apple juice. Apple juice would add another layer of flavor to the sprouts but still should work.
So Monday is here and another week set to begin. It is very cold here this morning -19 in fact with the windchill which I am not so pleased about. I will have to cover up the lid and keep warm. Have a super start to your week and I will see you Wednesday.