Middle of the week is here.
Spring is en route. Weather is warming up.
Salads are in season.
Dressings are a must.
I am going to show you how to make a classic vinaigrette in five minutes or less. This can be the basis for all your dressings and you can just tweak and add different flavors.
Ready.Here is a simple vinaigrette where I added lemon juice and dried oregano and red pepper flakes with a hint of honey for balance and a different spin on a classic.
Remember, there is no need to buy expensive dressings at the grocery store. With just a few everyday ingredients you can create custom and delicious flavor each and every time.
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. Grainy mustard
- 1/2 Cup Cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, mustard and vinegar.
- While whisking the vinegar mixture, slowly drizzle the olive oil until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Zesty Tip: Store in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to a week. Return to room temperature before using.
Customize your Dressing
- Add fresh herbs from the garden
- Go with citrus juice. I often add fresh orange, lemon or lime juice ( along with the zest)
- Drop in some finely chopped shallots
- How about a drizzle of honey.
- Switch up the vinegars for totally differently flavor
Another great technique and less work – I do this all the time. Grab a covered jar, like a mason jar, and just place all ingredients in the jar. Put the cover on and shake for 30 seconds. Because there is mustard in the dressing it will act as a binding agent and help bring the dressing together. Do note that if you let the dressing sit on the counter for a while before serving, it will break apart and separate. A simple shake before serving will do the trick.
Alright, back at it… Have an awesome Wednesday.