As I was walking down the meat section in the supermarket, two beef shanks were literally screaming my name…. Zesty Zesty, take me home and slow cook me. I thought to myself, slow cooked beef shank on Thursday would be great. I prepared these yesterday morning around 7:00 am with a quick sear on the outside for extra flavor – paired them with tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and peppercorns.
The results were incredibly tender, succulent and almost to a point where you never wanted the piece of meat to end. Oh wow, as I was writing this I almost drooled a little bit on the keyboard – my apologies. Wow this was delicious.
- 2 Beef shanks
- 1 Tsp. Olive oil
- 1 Onion (whole)
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Carrots ( chopped )
- 1 Cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 Tsp. Celery salt
- 1 Tbsp. dried Rosemary
- Fresh Rosemary ( to garnish )
- 1 Tsp. Garlic (minced)
- 1 Tsp. Coriander
- 1 28oz can Crushed tomatoes
- 5-6 Plum tomatoes
- Massage the salt and black peppercorns into the shank
- In a large skillet on high heat, add the olive oil and add the beef shanks and sear each side for 3-4 minutes.
- In the crock pot, add carrots, mushrooms and onion to the base.
- Set beef shanks on top.
- In a large bowl or the tomato can – add the celery salt, coriander and garlic and then pour the tomatoes over the beef shank
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Remove the beef, carrots and mushrooms and set aside; discard the onion and using a hand blender puree the sauce into a nice thick gravy.
- Place the meat and vegetables back in the pot until ready to serve
Zesty Tip: When cooking root vegetables in the crock pot always place them in the bottom and the meat on top to ensure they will cook in time.
The end of the week is here, any big plans for the weekend? Nothing to special going on here, we may just start to organize and get our plans ready for some yard work. Have a great weekend and I will talk to you on Monday.