Tuesday is here! Somewhat of a crazy Monday to start the week where survival was the key. For last night’s dinner we played another zesty game. The game is called “Creative Cooking” where basically you take an ingredient from the pantry and an ingredient from the fridge. You then pair those ingredients together and make an edible concoction (or at least try). My choices last night were Kale and Clams… as the title somewhat gives it away.
The meal was actually quite tasty when combined with tomatoes and topped with fresh Parmesan. I rarely buy canned clams but I noticed they were on sale at the local grocery store, so I picked one up. The dish was decent and I would prepare it again but I will admit that it was not my favorite dish.
The prep time and instructions are very quick and simple.
- Handful of Linguine (whole wheat)
- 2 cups of Kale
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 15 Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 Can of Clams
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Cup button mushrooms
- Fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cook Pasta according to instructions.
- Warm sauce pan to medium heat; add oil, mushrooms and garlic – cook for 3 minutes.
- Open can of clams (reserve liquid) and add clams to pan.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce and water and let sauce thicken and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add Kale and let cook through for 2 minutes stirring constantly. If you notice their is not enough liquid add some clam juice for flavor.
- Once pasta is cooked; drain and add to pan.
- Toss together.
- Plate and top with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Zesty Tip: When creating recipes from scratch, try to pair flavors and textures that you will think go well together. Then tinker with the amounts until you find a great balance. Cooking without a recipe is really fun and allows you to sneak in some food pairings that you may not normally try. A nice addition to this dish would be spinach if you don’t have, or like, Kale.
Well there you have it. I hope you have a great Tuesday. One reminder, once you get your zesty clothing gear – try it on, take a picture and send it to me. I will start a zesty page will all the proud owners and supporters of zesty.