Friday is here and a big storm is brewing. Exactly what we need around here….pffft. I am not a big fan of snow storms, but I am definitely not a fan of them on the weekend. Let’s try and get cheered up with a wholesome muffin recipe.
I adapted a recipe from eatingwell.com on the baking day as the kids like muffins and I thought it would be something quick and easy to make. All be it, they were very easy to make, I didn’t find they had a lot of flavor at all and I am not sure why.
All the ingredients were fresh but I just found they were BLAH. The texture was a little tough as well which may be attributed to me possibly over mixing the batter but I don’t even think I did that.
Let me know your thoughts as to why these muffins were just not “ZESTY”. Don’t worry though, I ate them all but it just felt like I was eating air.
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup nonfat buttermilk, (I just added a tablespoon of lemon juice to skim milk for the same effect)
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. Unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 large (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar.
- Add buttermilk, oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla and pulse until blended.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture and fold until almost blended.
- Gently fold in blueberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the edges and tops are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
Zesty Tip: Make ahead tip – Wrap each in plastic and freeze in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap muffin in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
Remember a couple of weeks ago that I mentioned we were going to Disney world and I posted a accommodation question for you asking for guidance and suggestions. Well I received numerous emails and comments ( which I am very grateful for ) but one of the emails stood out to say the least. I received an email from Danica over at Danicasdaily.com that went a little something like this:
You are going to Disneyworld ~ FUN!!!! I have a few suggestions for your for places to stay in Orlando and an idea for you/your family. We own several time shares that are AWESOME and definitely better to stay at when you have a family. They are more like condos with full kitchens, bedrooms, great pools and fun activities kids/adults on site too. I could go on for days on why we LOVE our time shares so if you have any questions, just ask away.
I had a proposition though….Since you know I LOVE the work you did on Friends For Weight Loss and I have been wanting to revamp Danicasdaily.com since my search sucks, want to do a swap? I can give you one of our Time Shares if you give Danicasdaily.com a makeover?? What do you think?
She continued in the email by providing us numerous resort options and locations and letting us pick the destination. Both Mrs Zesty and I could not believe our eyes as we read the email and we were very grateful. We spent the rest of the evening looking at the resorts ( emailing questions) and we finally decided on STAR ISLAND RESORT. Have a look below at some of the pictures from the resort as we are super excited to get there and have fun.
To wrap up, all 4 of us are very thankful for both Danica and Jay’s enormous generosity. Have a super Friday and I will see you all at the first of the week.