Hi ZestyCook readers! I’m Kristen over at Simply Savor. I’m thrilled to be Zesty’s guest while he’s away…also a little intimidated because his recipes are always so mouthwatering and appealing.
On the menu today is one of my favorite sweet treats: Lowfat Whole Wheat Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
A year ago, the threat of Hurricane Gustav forced me to temporarily evacuate New Orleans (where I was attending school at the time). I stayed with my roommate’s mom, and she introduced me to her delicious homemade sour cream coffee cake. This recipe was both decadent and comforting, but not what many would consider “diet-friendly” (although that didn’t stop me from enjoying every bite).
Over in the Simply Savor kitchen, I believe that simple changes can yield significant results. Here, I’ve healthified the original recipe without sacrificing flavor by subbing applesauce for butter, cutting the sugar in half, adding egg whites, using whole wheat flour and switching to low fat sour cream. Hope you enjoy!
- ½ Cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ Cup sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- ¼ Cup honey
- 1 egg, 2 egg whites
- ½ Tsp. vanilla
- 2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- ¼ Tsp. salt
- 1 ½ Cup low fat sour cream or plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- ½ Cup. chopped pecans (or any nut of choice),
- ½ Tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar, honey, and applesauce together;
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking powder. Add flour mixture gradually to first mixture, alternating with sour cream (or yogurt) and ending with vanilla extract.
- Mix ingredients for crumb mixture together and spray loaf pan/Bundt pan/angel food cake pan with cooking spray.
- Put half of mixture in pan and sprinkle half of crumb mixture on top.
- Pour rest of cake batter and top with crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan. Cut yourself a delicious slice and simply savor!
Nutrition Info per slice: Serves 18.
Calories: 110 kcal Fat: 2 g (0g sat/trans) Carbs: 20 g Fiber: 2 g Protein: 4 g
Thanks so much for a great recipe Kristen (Simply Savor). Have a great Thursday everyone!