Hi All! First of all I would like to thank you for all the emails and comments on New York City and listing your experiences and choices for when we land there in full force later next week. I am pretty excited and cannot wait to explore the big Apple.
As we get onto the food of the night last night, I opted for simple flavors with big taste. What do you get when you combine salmon, Canadian maple syrup, mustard, garlic, lemon and butter? To describe in more detail the salmon was very tasty! The crusted bread crumbs on top mixed with lemon zest and butter really brought it over the top. Super simple to make and takes just 8-9 minutes.
I paired the salmon with the nice crunch of homemade Kale chips which turned out to be a great combination. Ever have Kale chips? So delicious and oh so easy!!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 Portions of Salmon
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Tsp. Lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 3/4 Cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, mustard, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and garlic and mix together.
- In another bowl, melt the butter in the microwave; then add lemon and breadcrumbs. Mix together and set aside.
- Lay out the salmon pieces on the parchment paper. Place the maple mustard mixture over the top with a spoon and rub it in gently; continue you for all 4 pieces.
- Then spoon the bread crumb mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes. Switch oven to broil if need be to create a golden brown crust on the top.
Zesty Tip: You can try whatever type of protein you want with this combination. White fish, chicken, or even pork would work with this flavor profile.
There you go, I hope you enjoyed this simple versatile recipe that really pushes the flavor to the next level by just using simple fresh ingredients. I am heading to work to wrap up the week and than it is back to yard work.
The grass needs to be cut, flower beds need weeding and some pruning is awaiting in the garden. Speaking of garden – it is coming along really well and I will share with you some of the highlights at the first of the week.
Have a super weekend.