Happy Tuesday! I wanted to share with everyone an amazing roast beef that I cooked the other day. Talk about tender! When I got home and walked in the kitchen I was smiling from ear to ear – can you really beat the slow cooker for beef? I braised this piece of meat for 10 hours on low in the slow cooker while at the office. I prepped the meat around 7:00am just after breakfast and set the dial to low and let it go…
To go alongside the beef, I cooked some jasmine rice with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.
Overall the meal was quite tasty and very tender. So tender in fact that it was almost falling apart.
- 1 beef roast (about 4lbs)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 button mushrooms
- 6 large cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried thyme
It does not really get any easier than this.
- In a large pan set to medium high brown meat with olive oil and sear on all sides until carmelized
- Place meat in slow cooker (trim or remove any extra fat off the meat).
- Add mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add wine and chicken stock.
- Toss in the dried thyme.
- Cover and set on to LOW.
- Cook for at least 8 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables and transfer sauce to pan.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce.
- Add 1 tbsp. cornstarch to 2 tbsp. Cold Water and mix in a bowl.
- Add mixture to sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and let thicken.
- Carve meat , drizzle with sauce.
Zesty Tip: When cooking with a slow cooker, it is really important not too add too much liquid as the covered lid will generate enough steam. After the food is cooked, transfer the sauce to a pan and create a delicious gravy.
Question of the day: What is your favorite protein? I am so flexible that I will eat almost anything but I do have to say… I am definitely a red meat lover. I would love to hear your favorite.
Have a great Tuesday.