Hi, Is this thing on? OK great, you can hear me.
Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. At the present time things are absolutely nuts on my end but I am not complaining. Lots of balls up in the air and so far, my neck is not getting sore keeping them up in the air. After Thanksgiving on Monday, we were sent packing with a large bag of turkey ( cooked in the wood oven) so I knew I had to come up with a creative way to use it up.
So from the pantry I grabbed some quinoa, paprika, cumin, garlic and chili powder and set out to the kitchen. Other than the fact that I wanted to use Quinoa as the grain, I was totally flying by the seat of my pants. From the fridge, I reached in and picked up an onion, turkey, bell peppers, some spinach, cilantro, a couple of limes and some salsa.
OK I think I am ready.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tsp. Chili powder
- 3 small bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 Cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- 3 Tbsp. salsa
- 2 Cups Leftover turkey, chopped
- 2 Cups quinoa, cooked according to package
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat large heavy pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Toss in bell peppers and continue cooking.
- Add all spices to the mixture and then add chopped turkey and continue to saute.
- Add the juice and zest of 1 lime and season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked quinoa and the salsa and mix thoroughly. Cooking together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now toss in the spinach, and mix to let spinach wilt.
- Remove from heat and serve
- Top with salsa, fresh cilantro and lime wedge.
Zesty Tip: When cooking quinoa, I always like to cook extra as it holds up very well and is great to toss in dishes at the end for some additional protein. Also tastes great in a sweet dish such as these Quinoa Trail Mix Balls.
Happy Friday to you! I will see you on Monday.