According to the latest Community Health Survey, on average we consume just over one portion of Milk and Alternatives per day. That is not even close to the recommended daily intake for each age group:
- Children 2-3 and 4-8 need 2 servings
- Children 9-13 and teens 14-18 need 3-4 servings
- Adults 19-50 need 2 servings
- Adults over 50 need 3 servings
Milk products are our best natural source of calcium and they contain up to 16 essential nutrients that contribute to a healthy body. I think milk products are even better than most people realize. A balanced diet that contains enough Milk and Alternatives is associated with healthy bones, healthy blood pressure, and a positive outlook on life.
With all the chatter of milk and alternatives I thought it would be fun to have a little quiz. I am going to throw down 5 questions below and you let me know in the comments if they are true or false. I will tell you all the answers tomorrow. I think this might be a fun way to interact so make sure you tell all your friends and maybe even post it on your blog or mention it on twitter/facebook.
Answer TRUE/FALSE in the comments to participate in the Quiz.
- One string of cheese gives you less than half of serving
- Two 100g single-serving containers of yogurt are just a little more than one serving
- It takes almost 25 milkettes in your coffee to equal a serving
- The milk people put on their cereal usually adds up to about a half of serving only
- A 500ml container of flavored milk equals 2 servings
I hope you have a great Tuesday and I will for sure talk to you tomorrow. I have a fun announcement this week once all the details get ironed out.