When you think about snacks, you often think about going to your pantry and finding some pre-packaged treat you picked up in aisle 7 at the grocery store. Highly processed and not great for you but very quick, tasty and convenient.
Well today I am asking you to try these bars as a quick snack when you are craving the sweet treat.
Not extravagant, nothing overly elaborate, just really good.
I was perusing my favorite recipe sites when I stumbled on this little number by Danielle of Food Confidence. This is my second link up to Danielle and I have not been let down as of yet. These bars were really good. I have made a couple of adjustments just on personal taste and I will get to that shortly.
Healthy Chocolate Mint Squares
- 1 cup packed, pitted Medjool dates ( If you have dried dates, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup raw cocoa nibs ( You can omit if you do not have these)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut milk ( You can also use almond milk)
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract ( I altered this to be smaller)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips ( my addition)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (plus some for the top)
- Ready a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a food processor, process the pitted dates first until chopped, then add in the hemp, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, chia seeds, walnuts, almonds, shredded coconut, salt, peppermint extract, and coconut milk.
- Process until well combined. You may need to scrape down the side of the bowl and add some more coconut milk if not processing well.The final product should be sticky.
- Scrape mixture out into prepared baking pan and press into the pan with your fingers, then sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Freeze for about 45 minutes then slice into whatever size bar you desire!
Zesty Tip: You could also make these into balls and then freeze. This is also a great base to add other flavors you may enjoy. You could definitely use pure vanilla extract if that is a favorite of yours or add a protein powder for more of a power snack.