Here we have a zesty dish that in the past 12 months – I would rank as one of my favorites. I ate this bowl of basil beef pesto fettucine in literally 4 minutes. How is that for indigestion issues?
Every flavor was so amazing. The dish is comprised of everything I love – basil, beef, pesto, carrots and whole wheat pasta. Can one really go wrong? I will let you answer that.
As for the technique for making the sauce, I chose the braising method. I did this for a couple of reasons. First, I had a chunk of roast beef saved from a previous meal that was sitting idle in the fridge. I wanted to revive it and make it moist and tender again. Secondly, I chose a sturdy carrot to go in the sauce. To mitigate the issue of a soggy carrot, I cut the carrots quite large on the bias and added them in last to the braising liquid.
The addition of the pesto was easy as I had some left overs from the other day when I made a nice sized batch. This stuff is sooooooo good.
- 2 Cups whole wheat fettucine
- 1/2 Cup pesto
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 1/4 Beef stock
- 1/4 Water
- 1 1/2 Cups cooked beef (chopped)
- 1 Garlic clove (chopped)
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Preheat saucepan to medium heat and sear the beef (about 3 minutes).
- Add chopped garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Toss in carrot and stir; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and water, turn the temperature up to high and bring to a boil; Do not put the lid on.
- Let the liquid reduce to a thick consistency.
- Add pesto and stir until warmed through.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce; toss together.
Zesty Tip: Before adding the braising liquid, as I always say, sear the beef before hand in a little olive oil and lock in the flavors.
This dish will work equally well with chicken or pork. To convert this recipe into a vegetarian dish, you could add tofu or simply bulk up on the veggies and be happy.
Question of the day: What is your favorite dish involving pesto?
I hope you have a great day and I look forward to all the exciting feedback and comments.