Simple things in life make me happy. On Saturday night, we decided to have homemade pub food for viewing of Modern Family season 2. Just as an aside, I find that show super funny. I cannot figure out if I like Cameron or Phil the most. Too funny. OK back to the eats. The line of snacks included some homemade baked chicken wings, some perfect nachos and I started the evening off with some of these.
OMG, I love good onion rings. Nothing rots me more than getting an onion ring at a diner and you feel you can ring them out before eating them. So I started backing them and avoiding that problem and well partly because we don’t own a fryer.
Taking a few onions, slicing them thick, seasoning with salt and pepper and dredging them in a little buttermilk mixture. Then you toss them in some panko bread crumbs and roast them in your oven for 10-15 minutes. Talk about a killer snack that your “peeps” will be fighting for. The crunch and flavor are really a hit with this little rings. I am a bit lame as I like to dip mine in ketchup, but feel free to dip these in whatever your heart desires.
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs ( dried)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1 Medium Onion ( Vidalia, Spanish) Sliced and broken into rings
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Coarse Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, flour, cayenne, and pepper
- Dip onion rings into egg mixture ( letting excess drop off ) and dredge into panko mixture; place on a large platter
- Pour oil into rimmed baking sheet and heat in oven for 2 minutes
- Remove sheet from oven and tilt to coat evenly.
- Arrange rings onto sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes turning once or until rings are golden brown.
- Season with salt.
Zesty Tip: get them crunchy! Keep rotating and turning the pan in the oven to ensure they are done evenly throughout. The wait is worth it.
Have yourself a super Monday and I don’t know about your locale but it has been raining here for days. I will keep my spirits up and see you all on Wednesday. Maybe share a sweet treat with you for the mid week visit…. good idea?