Happy Monday and Happy Belated birthday to my US neighbors. This week is action packed on the zesty front with 7 blog consulting gigs to finish, work work, zesty cooking, soccer and some chores outside to stay on top of before I am on vacation next week. Did I tell you we rented a 36′ camper trailer next week to hang out by the water and do nothing but play, relax and eat? I am pretty excited to say the least.
Do you ever feel that you want to get take out because you are lazy and do not want to wait for lunch or supper? I have that feeling sometimes but I often revert and hold off my cravings with a dish like this one below. It is super easy, tasty and really takes all of 15 minutes to make. You could not even drive out , order and take it back home in 15 minutes. Next time you are on the fence for wanting take out – give this dish a try.
There is not shortage of flavor, with fresh lemon zest and rich hoisin sauce.
- 2-3 cups Penne pasta
- Handful of baby spinach
- 1 Head of broccoli
- 1 Cup chopped button mushrooms
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1 Lemon ( juice and zest )
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove ( chopped )
- 1 Tsp. thyme
- Cook pasta according to directions
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add olive oil, mushrooms and begin to cook down and add the garlic and thyme.
- Now toss in the broccoli and begin to brown ( about 2 minutes )
- Combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, lemon juice and zest in a bowl and mix together. Pour into mushroom and broccoli mixture.
- Add spinach and cooked pasta and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve it up.
Zesty Tip: To avoid the broccoli getting soggy, keep the heat on, constantly stir and avoid over crowding the pan. Over crowding will cause it to steam and quickly become soggy.
Now this dish is nothing over the top but it is a great dish for a quick meal and another way to easily clean out your fridge before grocery day. I so despise throwing out food from the fridge so dishes like these aide in that by throwing in some vegetables that may be on the verge of breaking down.
Let’s kick start this busy week with a bang! I hope you have a fantastic Monday and I will be back with a “very special” post on Wednesday.