I love salsa! That is a given so when I thought about a menu items for Sunday to pair with the coconut crusted salmon – I knew it was a summer salsa. There is something about summer flavors with crisp fruit and sharp vibrant colors makes everyone happy. I chose to pair both pineapple and mango for the salsa and give it a little bit with cilantro and red onion. No one in our family are really big onion lovers so I toned down the red onion to avoid any discomfort. I find it is not really that sharp with the sweetness of the fruit. To finish off the flavor matching, I chose to add a dash of hot sauce and cracked black pepper.
Ever try hot sauce with fruit?
- 2 Cups of fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 2 Cups fresh Mango, diced
- A little bit red onion, diced
- 1 Cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 Cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Several dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Put pineapple,mango, red onion and cilantro into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add lime zest and juice, oil and hot sauce.
- Toss well and let flavors mingle for at least one half hour before serving.
Zesty Tip: This works very well with any form of meat or even as a vegetarian dish. It would work great with a stir fry topping or even with cous cous.
Friday is here and the work week is over. It is hard to believe that summer is almost passed. Have a kick back relaxing weekend and I will touch base with you on Monday for something yummy.