Happy Friday everybody!
I went back to the zesty well from 4 years ago and decided to share a classic “impress yourself recipe”.
Homemade bread made easy.
The smell. The flavor. Melted butter.
Today’s post (like the rest of the week) is dedicated to super easy to prepare food that tastes great. I was talking to my great friend yesterday and I asked him what I should make and post about for Thursday. He said “Zesty, why don’t you make a killer loaf of homemade whole wheat bread that is super simple to make”. I said “JT, that is an awesome idea!” So here I am, getting ready to share with you a quick and easy
version of whole wheat homemade bread.
This is a great and versatile recipe that is open for variations and additives of your favorite flavors.
- 2 Tsp. honey
- 2 2/3 Cup lukewarm water
- 4 Tsp. dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp. Molasses
- 5 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/4 Cup wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp. Oatmeal (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Stir 2 teaspoons honey into 2/3 cup lukewarm water.
- Sprinkle yeast over the mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine 3 tablespoons molasses with 2/3 cup warm water and combine with yeast mixture.
- Stir into flour. Add salt, wheat germ and 1 1/3 cups warm water. Dough will be sticky.
- Pour dough into a non-stick loaf pan.
- Smooth top with wet spatula.
- Sprinkle Oatmeal over top of loaf, if desired.
- Allow to raise to top of pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on a rack, then turn out of pan.
- Cool before slicing.
Zesty Tip: When working with Yeast – it is very important that the yeast is still active (therefore not expired) so be sure to check your labels. Also make sure to dissolve all the yeast in the liquid before adding dry ingredients.
Wow, I must say I really do love homemade bread and it really does not get any easier than this recipe. As well, look at the ingredients… so healthy and natural - it really is that simple. Give this loaf a try and let me know how you do. Would you suggest any ingredient substitutions or additions?
Have yourself a great Friday!