Happy Wednesday everyone! Halfway thru week is almost over… crazy isn’t it. I thought I would share with you a simple muffin that you can make when you need something sweet in a hurry. I made these a few weeks ago and they are actually pretty tasty.
These muffins are very flexible. You can mix it up by switching the nuts to pecans as well as adding some of your favorite dried fruit in them as well. Dates would also work really well. This one is super easy and a great Sunday morning treat for the house to wake up too.
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/4 Cup shortening
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Mix egg and milk together, add all at once.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Combine brown sugar, nuts, flour, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Place 1/2 batter in greased muffin tins or liners (I opted for liners).
- Sprinkle nut mixture over 1/2 batter, then top with remaining batter. (I save a little nut mixture to sprinkle on top too.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Zesty Tip: When baking any cake like batter – always keep an eye on the cooking process but try not to open the oven door during the allotted time. If you feel you oven may be too hot – reduce the baking time by 2 minutes and be sure to check the batter with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. If it does, you are good to go.
Let me know your favorite kind of muffin! I know I am going to hear a lot of pumpkin responses but let me hear them all – it will be fun! I hope everyone has a great weekend!