Happy Monday! It feels like I have been away for a long time which I guess is not that far from the truth. Spinach and Mushroom Pasta was my last post since I had a special guest sit in on Friday with Sippity Sup. This weekend was action packed and full of cooking. A while back I used to cook on Sunday’s for the whole week including lunches ( for work ) and dinners in the evening. I am not quite sure why I ever stopped doing that but I will chalk it up to being a bit too busy.
But I was talking to Mrs. Zesty earlier on the weekend and said” Let’s bring back cooking Sundays. Sunday cooking was REBORN. I will not get into great details as to what I prepared as you will see through the week and next but it was a ton of fun especially since Zesty Jr. was by my side for a couple of dishes.
This dish I want to share with you today is a simple dish combining a little Mexican and a small bit of India with the use of a few simple ingredients.
As I look back on my blogging career, I notice a pattern; everything I cook is super simple and quick. I wonder if that means I am SIMPLE. Anyway, let’s not go there.
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Salsa ( I used store bought )
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1/2 lb. Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Carrot ( chopped)
- 1 Cup Mushrooms ( chopped)
- 1 Celery stalk ( chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare rice according to directions and set aside once cooked.
- In a large preheated sauce pan over medium heat, combine olive oil, celery and carrots; cook for about 7 minutes
- Add mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes
- Next, toss in the ground beef, cumin, salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink
- Add salsa and let simmer 5 minutes
- Stir in cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
Zesty Tip: When using mushrooms with a meat dish, be sure to cook them prior to adding any meat as they will release a lot of water and will not allow the meat to brown.
This was a super fun weekend and I am looking forward to doing the Sunday cooking next week as well. Holler at me if you have any suggestions/recommendations for the week’s dishes. I am looking for dishes that reheat well and pack up in a resealable container well. I would love to hear your ideas.