Another Friday is here… the weekend is upon us! I hope you had a great week. As I write this post, I am just getting back from the stand up comedian show put on by Jeremy Hotz… simply amazing. My cheeks still hurt from smiling and laughing so much. If you have not heard him before you should check out his website or look him up on youtube.
SUPER BOWL Sunday is drawing closer and I will be making lots of traditional treats such as ribs, wings and nachos. In addition to those tasty treats, I thought I would share with you a kicked up appetizer, called Cauliflower Popcorn, to watch the pregame with. I originally seen this idea from Bob Blumer (The Surreal Gourmet) on the food network. This is a great way to jazz up a pretty plain vegetable. Check it out.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 dried cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 Tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Add the cayenne pepper, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, and ground black pepper in the bowl mixing well. (Do not add the salt yet! It has to be added after cooking, or it would dry out the vegetables). Pour this spice mixture into the olive oil and mix together well.
- Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, cut cauliflower into individual bite-sized florets and coat with spice mixture.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Spread onto baking sheet.
- Once the oven is preheated, put in the cauliflower and roast it, keep tossing it every 15 minutes or so
- Leave the cauliflower to roast until it is tender.
- Top with salt.
Zesty Tip: When cooking vegetables, always salt after the cooking process is complete but make sure you do it right away. Same holds true when you deep fry anything.
Have a great weekend and if football is your thing… ENJOY the game!