As this week is catering week, another recipe that I served was super simple yet dazzling sweet potatoes. Instead of the traditional potato skin I thought I would attempt a slight twist to kick it up a notch. I used flavorful sweet potatoes which were baked twice, drizzled with sour cream and crumbled bacon. Sound alright? They were quite delicious.
Getting back to the tips from yesterday’s post with regards to catering, I prepared the sweet potatoes the day before by baking them. I then made the filling and stuffing for the big day. This was really simple as you will see further down in the steps below. This offers the guests something a little different with a bit of color. I am one of those people – “If it looks great, I am all over it”
Check out the ingredients and instructions for these Sizzling Sweet Potato Skins.
- 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Low fat Buttermilk
- 1/4 Tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 4 Slices Bacon (Fried and crumbled)
- 3 Green Onions (Chopped for Garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400, place sweet potatoes on a sheet and rub with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake for 45 minutes.
- Half sweet potatoes length wise and scoop out most of the flesh into a mixing bowl.
- Mash until smooth; add buttermilk, nutmeg and paprika.
- Stuff sweet potatoes will filling.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until lightly brown around the edges at 400 degrees (about 15-20 minutes).
- Garnish with bacon, sour cream and green onion.
Zesty Tip: When baking the sweet potatoes the first time, it is a good idea to keep them somewhat firm and not over cook them. They will soften up the second time around as well as with the butter milk.
Stay tuned for another catering dish coming up tomorrow…. Have a great day!