I am on my way home! With that brings anticipation of snow and cold weather. Oh well that is life and I will survive. My day is action packed with 11 hours of travel so I am looking forward to getting on solid ground.
With that being said, I though I would continue the baked goods week and share with you one of my favorite soft chewy molasses cookies. As I have mentioned before, I love soft and chewy cookies similar to the chewy chocolate chip cookies and white macadamia nut cookies. However, I also love MOLASSES and everything about it.
These molasses cookies have a soft chewy texture. Growing up we called them Tuffies. Have you ever heard molasses cookies called that before?
These take no time to make and use pretty generic baking ingredients. They are also very easy to flip to Vegan cookies as well.
- 3/4 Cup butter
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 Cup molasses
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tsp. allspice
- 1 Tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for about an hour to firm up the batter.
- Take small amounts of dough and roll them in your hand to form small balls.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet one minute until set.
- Cool on rack.
Zesty Tip: when baking cookies in large batches, keep the dough chilled in between batches. To store soft chewy cookies, I keep them in a container with a lid to prevent them from drying out. You can also add a slice of apple in the container to keep them moist.
I will be back on the island I call home tonight. I will see you in the morning with hopefully another fun post to lead you into the weekend. Have a great day!