Ever just go off the wall and try to create a different side dish that you never tried before? Enter spinach and cabbage saute. I was unsure what this would turn out like but was willing to give it a whirl as cabbage was on special and I had some spinach to use up before expiring.
Pretty simple to make as I used “real” cranberry juice as the sauce and let accompanied with some red pepper flakes and garlic for flavor. A fun twist on a combination that I never had before but I would make it again.
The details are here if you want to give it a spin.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Cups Cabbage ( chopped )
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper flakes
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Cranberry Juice
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Heat up a saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and red peppers and extract the aroma.
- Add cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in the spinach and salt – let wilt down for 2 minutes – stirring constantly
- Add cranberry juice and let cook down until it becomes a sauce and thickens.
Zesty Tip: Make sure the cabbage is cooked through so it is not tough. Normally cabbage is poached and becomes very tender or consumed raw in slaw ( but cut very thin) – so just ensure you give the cabbage enough time to soften up.
The weekend is upon us. The weather is looking somewhat dismal for tonight and tomorrow but hopefully it will clear up for another great fall weekend. I hope you have a fun weekend with whatever plans you may have and I will be back in action on Monday for hopefully something sweet…. I need to bake!