Rich, creamy, tender and flavorful.
Not every time you think of quiche would you come of with those words to describe the experience. It is not all about creamy -look what we have hidden in there – quinoa, spinach …. onions.
Don’t overlook my ability to sneak healthy alternatives into the rich and creaminess of cheese and eggs.
I must say, the bacon is a nice addition. You could use turkey bacon or any of those varieties if you so desire.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked broken into pieces
- 3 Cups baby spinach
- 1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/3 Cup Goat cheese
- 1 Sprig fresh rosemary
- 6 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare a baking dish ( I used 8*8 (with butter or baking spray). Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Slice onion thinly. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add the sliced onions and slowly cook until they’re soft and browned. Than add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove some of the bacon fat and toss in the spinach and cook until it is wilted. Throw in the quinoa, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs so they are well combined. Add the cheeses to the egg mixture. Pour eggs over the quinoa/spinach mixture. Stir until the egg clings to the greens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture in the prepared pie dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the pie has started to pull away from the edge of the baking dish.
- Serve hot or at room temp.
Zesty Tip: I opted to turn broil on for a couple of minutes at the very end to give the top of the quiche a little crust to make up for lack of crunch/crust on the bottom.
Have a great weekend! I am getting the ride on tractor delivered from the service shop today so if the weather cooperates – I will be cutting the grass this weekend.
Talk to you on Monday!