Happy Friday! I was thinking about what to write about today last night and debating whether to go sweet tooth or savory, tell you more about my life (winks), maybe do a how-to post, or maybe even shoot a video. After much contemplation ( about 45 seconds), I thought I would go with a sweet treat but very much a winter sweet treat.
I want to share with you one of my favorite soft chewy molasses cookies. As I have mentioned before, I love soft and chewy cookies similar to the chewy chocolate chip cookies and white macadamia nut cookies. However, I also love MOLASSES and everything about it.
These molasses cookies have a soft chewy texture. When nobody is looking I may also put a little butter on the underside of the cookie. I love that!
These take no time to make and use pretty generic baking ingredients. They are also very easy to flip to Vegan cookies as well.
- 3/4 Cup butter
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 Cup molasses
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tsp. allspice
- 1 Tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for about an hour to firm up the batter.
- Take small amounts of dough and roll them in your hand to form small balls.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet one minute until set.
- Cool on rack.
Zesty Tip: when baking cookies in large batches, keep the dough chilled in between batches. To store soft chewy cookies, I keep them in a container with a lid to prevent them from drying out. You can also add a slice of apple in the container to keep them moist.
Have a great weekend and I will see you all on Monday!