I cannot really believe I wrote that as a title and actually prepared this dish with these ingredients. part of me thinks it is genius and the other part of me thinks that maybe I just ruined a perfectly healthy vegetable and moved it to the dark side. Either way – these sweet potatoes were amazing!
Let me know what you think of stuffed sweet potatoes? Taking the original stuffed potato to a new level – you cannot go wrong. Throw whatever flavors in you like and experiment. Let the power of the sweet potato carry the dish.
- Sweet Potatoes ( medium-large )
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese ( cheddar/mozzarella )
- 4 Slices Bacon (Fried and crumbled)
- 3 Green Onions (Chopped for Garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400, place sweet potatoes on a sheet and rub with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Half sweet potatoes length wise and scoop out most of the flesh into a mixing bowl.
- Mash until smooth; add nutmeg, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Stuff sweet potatoes will filling and top with shredded cheese
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until lightly brown around the edges and the cheese is melted at 400 degrees (about 25-30 minutes).
- Garnish with bacon, sour cream and green onion.
Zesty Tip: In step one, we don’t want to bake the sweet potatoes to much. We want the sweet potato to still be somewhat firm and you must allow them to cool before cutting and scooping out the flesh. This will ensure the case ( peel) will stay in tact.
I hope you have a great Wednesday and for all that it is worth – you have to give this recipe a try. I am more than confident that you will be happy with the results. The combination of flavors really enhances the sweet potato and the bacon gives it a nice crunch and saltiness to balance the sweetness.
Along the same lines, here is another post on stuffed baked potatoes.