Happy Monday! What signifies summer more than outdoor grilling, fresh basil, garden tomatoes, and great family and friends to join and share? This past weekend we hosted Mamma’s Zesty birthday celebration. It was filled with grilled pork tenderloin topped with an apricot and apple chutney, bbq turkey and beef sliders, delicious salads, roasted vegetables, fresh bruschetta and of course a big birthday cake.
The dish I want to share with you today may just be my favorite pasta salad ever. I was contemplating flavors and browsing a few recipes online when I came across this Jamie Oliver recipe and immediately knew this would be a hit. I had all the ingredients on hand and I knew it would match the summer theme I was going for. I did a couple of swaps including adding some creamy feta cheese and omitting the yellow grape tomatoes and olives.
Here is the Zesty adapted version.
- 310g/11oz fusili pasta
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 255g/9oz red cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 Tbsp. Feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- ½ a Cucumber
- 4 Tbsp. white wine vinegar, or to taste
- 7 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Throw in the pasta and cloves of garlic, boil until al dente, drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Put the garlic to one side to use for the dressing.
- Put the pasta into a bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes, chives, basil and cucumber into pieces about half the size of the pasta and add to the bowl.
- Squash the garlic cloves out of their skins and mush in a pestle and mortar. Add the vinegar, oil and seasoning.
- Drizzle this over the salad, adding a little more seasoning to taste.
Zesty Tip: For an even more condensed garlic flavor you can roast a whole head of garlic in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Just cut the top of the head off, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap with tin foil.
Here are a few snap shots at some of the eats from the weekend. We served 14 people and had a blast.
Have a super Monday and I will talk to you on Wednesday morning.