You know how I love meat and fish. If you didnt already know that, I am telling you now… I love meat and fish and all things in between. Often times I love having a little chutney on the side to eat with the meat or fish of choice. I was inspired on Sunday when I was over at Nanny zesty’s and had some oven roasted pork loin with a homemade cranberry sauce/chutney.
I remember I had made this chutney a while ago and never featured it on zesty for some odd reason. As I was looking through all my folders of images I stumbled upon this one and knew I had to share. Now before you get too excited or grossed out – depending on your taste buds you have to give this a try.
Whether it be roasted turkey, halibut, pork, on top of your hamburger this will add a dimension of flavor and texture that you will be craving for.
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries
- 2 Cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup golden raisins
- 2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 Tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 Tsp. ground allspice
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped cooking apple
- 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until juice is released from cranberries, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until thickened; stirring occasionally.
- Chill before serving or serve hot.
Zesty Tip: Chutney will keep in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. This goes great on sandwiches as well in place of mayo or mustard.
One other thing that I forgot to mention. If you love a little spice, red pepper flakes or chili powder work very well in this to give it a punch of heat. I am heading to the office so have a great Wednesday and I will talk to you on Friday.
I just checked the long range forecast and I see two days of sunshine for the weekend. I almost fell off the chair!!