Ever feel that you are running out of meal ideas with certain foods? That happens to me sometimes so I try to step back and think about different ways to use that certain ingredient. The last thing you want to have happen is that you get bored with a great food. The food of choice today is “Tomato“. I never used to like tomatoes but as I grew older I have found a new love for them.
I am not a huge fan of the tomato on just any given deli sandwich however but I do love tomatoes roasted, in sauces and on certain sandwiches with cheese. I just compiled a simple list that I came up with on ways I like to use tomatoes.
Hopefully they will spark your interest to try them.
7 Ways to Use Tomatoes
- No-Cook Pasta Sauce – In a large bowl combine several chopped tomatoes, a clove or two of minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Add olive oil to coat tomatoes. Add hot pasta and toss to coat pasta. Bits of fresh mozzarella can be added – they will get a bit melted when tossed with the hot pasta. At the very end you can add red chili flakes, basil, and freshly shredded Parmesan are all tasty additions as well.
- Grilled Tomatoes – Slice the tomatoes nice and thick, coat with a little olive oil – season with salt and pepper and grill for 4 mins on each side. Yum!
- Toasted Tomato and Pesto Sandwich – Spread two slices of your favorite sandwich bread with your favorite pesto (need a favorite? try this pesto), top one pesto-ed slice with several meaty slices of tomato, sprinkle with salt, sandwich, and enjoy!
- Simple Salsa – Make your own fresh salsa by tossed chopped tomato with your choice of the following: minced red onion, minced garlic, finely chopped jalapeño or serrano chiles. Add salt to taste. A splash of red vinegar can be tasty, too. Another addition can be some fresh avocado as well.
- A Kicked Up BLT – This is a classic with a twist. This takes a little bit of effort but is so worth it. I like to take two slices of a thick homemade bread, toast it, top with a little butter and a nice piece of cheddar cheese. After that I add the fresh romaine lettuce, juicy red tomatoes and crisp bacon. I top it with freshly ground pepper and enjoy!
- In a Salad – Any salad of your choice – tomatoes are a great addition. Keep it simple and dress it just before serving.
- Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice - This one is a great fun recipe on a cool day. Scoop out the insides of the tomato. To prepare the filling use cooked rice, oregano and ground beef ( or you can omit) Top with fresh basil and mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
So there you have it! My top 7 ways to kick up the regular tomato. Let me know if you have any other great ways to kick up the tomato in the comments section. I will be back tomorrow - Have a great Wednesday.
I am off to New York… and will blog from the BIG Apple on Friday!